From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:22:46
1 On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:27:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I buy machines with one ethernet interface. What I find
5 >> > particularly annoying is this doublespeak about calling it
6 >> > "predictable". Before the change, it was predicatbly "eth0". Now,
7 >> > it's different on every different model.
8 >
9 >> It's not doublespeak, the interfaces are named exactly according to
10 >> where they are on the PCI bus. If you had two interfaces, they show up
11 >> to the kernel in random order by time and sometimes eth0/eth1 are nto
12 >> the same they were before the reboot.
13 >
14 > That may be true for PCI devices but not for USB ones. If you unplug a
15 > USB device and plug it back into the same port, it will get a different
16 > device number. The naming is more predictable, but it's not there yet.
17
18 That doesn't sound right. If unplugging a USB net device and plugging
19 it again *in the same port* results in a different device *name*, then
20 it is a bug and should be reported; the description of the algorithm
21 in [1] sounds like it should get always the same name for the same
22 port, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
23
24 Regards.
25
26 [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n51
27 --
28 Canek Peláez Valdés
29 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias