From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:08:27
1 On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:27:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I buy machines with one ethernet interface. What I find
4 > > particularly annoying is this doublespeak about calling it
5 > > "predictable". Before the change, it was predicatbly "eth0". Now,
6 > > it's different on every different model.
7
8 > It's not doublespeak, the interfaces are named exactly according to
9 > where they are on the PCI bus. If you had two interfaces, they show up
10 > to the kernel in random order by time and sometimes eth0/eth1 are nto
11 > the same they were before the reboot.
12
13 That may be true for PCI devices but not for USB ones. If you unplug a
14 USB device and plug it back into the same port, it will get a different
15 device number. The naming is more predictable, but it's not there yet.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 The gene pool could use a little chlorine.