From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 03:27:34
1 On 26/09/2014 02:23, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 07:03:02PM +0000, James wrote
3 >> Samuli Suominen <ssuominen <at> gentoo.org> writes:
6 >>>> Any other caveats (short term) on switching udev to eudev?
7 >>
8 >>> in fact, from what I last checked, eudev's networking is at same level
9 >>> with udev-208, from time before the .link support at all
10 >>
11 >> ah, back when ethernet defaulted to eth0 not "enp5s0" ?
12 >
13 > I buy machines with one ethernet interface. What I find particularly
14 > annoying is this doublespeak about calling it "predictable". Before the
15 > change, it was predicatbly "eth0". Now, it's different on every
16 > different model.
20 It's not doublespeak, the interfaces are named exactly according to
21 where they are on the PCI bus. If you had two interfaces, they show up
22 to the kernel in random order by time and sometimes eth0/eth1 are nto
23 the same they were before the reboot.
26 You are just looking at this from the wrong point of view.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com