From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Weird image-serving behavior
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:09:02
1 On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > There is a photo on my website that has been served perfectly for a
3 > long time but today I noticed it wasn't being served and there were no
4 > errors printed in apache2's error_log (or ssl_error_log). I
5 > downloaded the file, opened it locally just fine, uploaded it again,
6 > and it has since been served perfectly again. There is nothing
7 > unusual about the image. Has anyone seen anything like that before?
8 > Could this indicate a hard drive or memory problem?
9
10 What browser were you using for this? I have been experiencing problems with
11 Konqueror over the last month or so. It will intermittently fail to download
12 parts of webpages (mostly images). Other browsers did not seem to have a
13 problem.
14
15 Another looong shot may have to do with pmtu discovery and the possibility
16 that your server was under 'ping attack', which could have caused its
17 firewall to drop all pings, inc. those from your client. This would only be
18 valid if your client MTU is less than 1500. I wouldn't hang my coat on this,
19 but it sounds like a good conspiracy theory anyway . . . :p
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick