From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:20:36
1 On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 06:56 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
6 > >I've heard of government departments filing down the old HD's into
7 > >little pieces, then mixing them in cement for the next building project.
8 > >Could be an urban legend though.
9 > >
10 > >All of the above is subject to my own bad memory :)
14 > I have heard the same thing. I have watched some of them on TV get data
15 > off some unbelievable drives. Some had bent platters, serious
16 > scratches, been formatted a few times etc etc etc, After all that,
17 > they still got enough of what they wanted. They put a chemical on one
18 > and you could see the data with your eyes. It looked like a round bar
19 > code sort of.
20
21 hmm, sounds suspicious... It could have been some sort of serial number,
22 but if you could see it with your eye, it definitely wasn't 0's and 1's
23 of data.
24
25 Someone will know (I don't) what the density is on a modern platter.
26 --
27 Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
28
29 I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the
30 places they do today.
31 -- Will Rogers
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list