From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:04:07
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
5 >I've heard of government departments filing down the old HD's into
6 >little pieces, then mixing them in cement for the next building project.
7 >Could be an urban legend though.
8 >
9 >All of the above is subject to my own bad memory :)
13 I have heard the same thing. I have watched some of them on TV get data
14 off some unbelievable drives. Some had bent platters, serious
15 scratches, been formatted a few times etc etc etc, After all that,
16 they still got enough of what they wanted. They put a chemical on one
17 and you could see the data with your eyes. It looked like a round bar
18 code sort of.
19
20 Whatever you use, if it does it quickly, it ain't worth the time.
21 Really erasing something and rewriting data over it takes a bit of
22 time. That little light should be on a while. I still wouldn't count
23 on it. Shreading it and putting it in concrete may be a good idea.
24 Maybe putting it in a MRI machine would help too. I would leave the
25 room though. O_O
26
27 Dale
28 :-)
31 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
32
33 I have four rigs:
34
35 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
36 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
37 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
38 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
39
40 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list