From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need to turn on wireless
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:48:24
1 On Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 04:03:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
3 > > on 2011-07-18 at 18:17 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > >> What sort of apps are available to discover a public network ESSID?
5 > >>
6 > >>Something GUI based would be appreciated if it's in portage.
7 > >>
8 > > i got good results with wicd in the past. i got it to work fine on a
9 > > gentoo laptop for exactly what you need, if understood your mail
10 > > correctly.
11 > >
12 > > i don't have a laptop anymore, and on my netbook i have xubuntu. they use
13 > > network-manager as a default. wicd is lighter and works fine, but
14 > > network-manager has the advantage of working with mobile broadband, while
15 > > wicd doesn't. but i never could make network-manager work on gentoo...
16 >
17 > Thanks, wicd seems to work well enough to show me the networks in my
18 > neighborhood. I'll have to figure out how to connect to one when I get
19 > to my destination tomorrow night.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Mark
23
24 You can choose from wicd, networkmanager (this comes with different front ends
25 depending on your DE) and wpa_supplicant gui. From what I read wicd is the
26 best if you just want to use it for WiFi. The way to connect is to click on
27 the access point of your choice and fill in the passphrase/key when it pops up
28 and asks you for it.
29
30 Unprotected wireless networks will just connect without asking for a key.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick