From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-fs/-MERGING-static-dev installed but unable to find it
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:15:39
1 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Howdy,
5 >>
6 >> I ran eix-test-obsolete and in the output, I get the following:
9 >> The following installed packages are not in the database:
10 >>
11 >> sys-fs/-MERGING-static-dev
12 >> --
13 >>
14 >> Equery gives me this:
15 >>
16 >> root@fireball / # equery list *static-dev*
17 >> * Searching for *static-dev* ...
18 >> !!! No installed packages matching '*static-dev*'
19 >> root@fireball / #
23 >> Other tools report this:
27 >> root@fireball / # emerge -s static-dev
28 >>
29 >> [ Results for search key : static-dev ]
30 >> Searching...
31 >>
32 >> * sys-fs/static-dev
33 >> Latest version available: 0.1
34 >> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
35 >> Size of files: 0 KiB
36 >> Homepage: https://bugs.gentoo.org/107875
38 >> License: GPL-2
39 >>
40 >> [ Applications found : 1 ]
41 >>
42 >> root@fireball / # eix static-dev
43 >> * sys-fs/static-dev
44 >> Available versions: 0.1
45 >> Homepage: https://bugs.gentoo.org/107875
48 >> root@fireball / #
52 >> So, it's installed but I can't find it to remove it. What the heck is
53 >> this about? Anyone else ever run into this? Is there a way to "find"
54 >> it?? Can I remove it somehow??
55 >>
56 >> Thanks.
57 >>
58 >> Dale
59 >>
60 >> :-) :-)
61 >>
62 > It's also installed on my system and probably it's a forgotten relict from
63 > ancient times (my last gentoo installation on this machine was in 2007).
64 >
65 > To be honest, I never ran eix-test-obsolete. My system is running fine and
66 > atm I don't have much time. So I will leave it as it is.
67 >
68 > Maybe the static dev is useful in the case that udev refuses to work for
69 > any reason. :-)
70 >
71 > --
72 > Regards
73 > wabe
78 What gets me, that MERGING is in all caps. I don't recall ever seeing a
79 package name with caps like that. To me, it looks like something was
80 being installed/upgraded and during the process some cruft got left
81 behind by portage. Now I don't know that to be true but I'm grasping at
82 straws here. I think I built this rig about 2011 or 2012. I could dig
83 out the invoices to be sure. Anyway, mines not as old a install as
84 yours but it has been around for a while.
85
86 That has been there for a while and everything is working fine, even
87 rebooting. Thing is, it bugs me that it is there and I don't know what
88 exactly it is or where it came from. Also, that I can't figure out how
89 to clean it up either. o_O I mostly want to clean it up.
90
91 Maybe someone else has ran into this and has a clue, or a 2 x 4. ;-)
92
93 Dale
94