From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc and crossdev, anyone?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:33:11
1 On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 17/12/2010, at 10:56pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >> ... an Atom N270 box ... server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other boxes on the
6 >> network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
7 >> with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
8 >
9 > 9 minutes!?!? I'm flabbergasted. The machines I have around here, I consider 1 hour to
10 > compile a kernel pretty good. Actually I'm in the process of migrating to newer hardware,
11 > but I haven't tested kernel compilation times.
12
13 [brag]
14 real 1m46.250s
15 user 11m54.140s
16 sys 0m57.290s
17 [/brag]
18
19 Less than 2 minutes here ;) That is for "make -j9 all" on Core i7 920
20 (OC'ed to 3.5GHz)
21
22 To be more on topic, I've never been able to figure out distcc to the
23 point where I feel comfortable that I've done it correctly. I have a
24 laptop where emerging a new release of KDE takes more than 1 day, and
25 the above mentioned workstation where it takes an hour. Followed the
26 wiki and I could see compilation happening on the remote machine, but
27 it was few and far between. It usually seemed like using it was slower
28 than not using it at all. I tried to set it to just not use the local
29 machine for anything but was never able to get that to work. (I'm not
30 sure if it's even possible?)
31
32 I probably did something wrong or misunderstood some fundamental part
33 of it, but I gave up on it long ago.