From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (sort of) strange things after upgrading the kernel
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 03:14:48
1 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 >
3 > 2012/10/12 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>>
4 >
5 > Francisco Ares wrote:
8 > > Thanks for your reply, Dale.
9 > >
10 > > Yes, everything works as expected when using the old kernel.
11 > >
12 > > I decided to re-emerge some base libraries, and nothing worked,
13 > until
14 > > I remembered to re-emerge udev. After the build, it announced two
15 > > wrong lines in the new kernel "config" file:
16 > >
17 > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
18 > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
19 > >
20 > > After correcting them and building the kernel again, now
21 > everything is
22 > > back to normal.
23 > >
24 > > Thanks again
25 > > Francisco
28 > > --
29 > > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
30 > then
31 > > you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an
32 > idea and
33 > > I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us
34 > will have
35 > > two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
38 > Do you use oldconfig or build each one from scratch? I use
39 > oldconfig so
40 > that I at least have what I know works. It's just a matter of if
41 > I need
42 > anything new enabled. Some claim oldconfig shouldn't be used but
43 > I have
44 > only had it to fail once in the last 10 years or so. Most everyone I
45 > know of uses oldconfig.
46 >
47 > Glad you got it going tho.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
51 > :-) :-)
52 >
53 > --
54 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you
55 > understood or how you interpreted my words!
60 > I normally also use oldconfig. I think there might be a reason for it
61 > to be around. But this time I didn't, because the old kernel was
62 > version 2.6.39 and I thought oldconfig would mess things up more than
63 > help on the new 3.4.9. Don't know how right or wrong is this
64 > assumption, though.
65 >
66 > I just was lazy to upgrade the kernel, as it takes an hour or so to
67 > check most of menucofig.
68 >
69 > Francisco
72 I would have tried it but that is a LOT of updates. It may be faster to
73 start from scratch in that case. I know a few years ago there was some
74 changes that kept oldconfig from working as it should. That was the
75 only time it failed me but I do upgrade more often to avoid this sort of
76 thing. I try to upgrade every couple months. Now if I have long
77 uptimes, I may not actually ever use that kernel but I have a config
78 file to copy over that is a bit more up to date.
79
80 I would suggest printing or something the output of the following:
81 lspci -k That tells you what you need for your hardware, that is of
82 course from a kernel where all your hardware works. There may be some
83 specific things for certain software that is needed but at least you can
84 boot up and have a system to work with. I usually leave the rest to
85 defaults unless I am sure there is something I don't need.
86
87 Glad you got it sorted out and working tho.
88
89 Dale
90
94 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!