From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (sort of) strange things after upgrading the kernel
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 02:44:28
1 2012/10/12 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2
3 > Francisco Ares wrote:
6 > > Thanks for your reply, Dale.
7 > >
8 > > Yes, everything works as expected when using the old kernel.
9 > >
10 > > I decided to re-emerge some base libraries, and nothing worked, until
11 > > I remembered to re-emerge udev. After the build, it announced two
12 > > wrong lines in the new kernel "config" file:
13 > >
14 > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
15 > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
16 > >
17 > > After correcting them and building the kernel again, now everything is
18 > > back to normal.
19 > >
20 > > Thanks again
21 > > Francisco
24 > > --
25 > > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
26 > > you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
27 > > I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
28 > > two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
31 > Do you use oldconfig or build each one from scratch? I use oldconfig so
32 > that I at least have what I know works. It's just a matter of if I need
33 > anything new enabled. Some claim oldconfig shouldn't be used but I have
34 > only had it to fail once in the last 10 years or so. Most everyone I
35 > know of uses oldconfig.
36 >
37 > Glad you got it going tho.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-) :-)
42 >
43 > --
44 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
45 > how you interpreted my words!
50 I normally also use oldconfig. I think there might be a reason for it to be
51 around. But this time I didn't, because the old kernel was version 2.6.39
52 and I thought oldconfig would mess things up more than help on the new
53 3.4.9. Don't know how right or wrong is this assumption, though.
54
55 I just was lazy to upgrade the kernel, as it takes an hour or so to check
56 most of menucofig.
57
58 Francisco