From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:38:11
1 >>>>>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
2 >>>>>> safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
3 >>>>>> me.  When does that ever work?
4 >>>>>
5 >>>>> You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only
6 >>>
7 >>> mode.
8 >>>
9 >>>>>  There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it.  Press ENTER when
10 >>>
11 >>> you're
12 >>>
13 >>>>> finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
16 >>>
17 >>> doesn't
18 >>>
19 >>>>> work.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> I can't do that remotely though.  I'm probably asking for something
22 >>>> that doesn't exist.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> - Grant
25 >>>
26 >>> Situations like these that made me decide with great conviction to always
27 >>> deploy my servers virtualized, even if the box in question will only host a
28 >>> single VM.
29 >>>
30 >>> Now, if I lost my intelligence for a couple of seconds and somehow ended up
31 >>> with a VM that's no longer accessible remotely, I just connect to the
32 >>> virtual console.
33 >>>
34 >>> The flip side? Now I'm getting too daring/careless, and the uptime now
35 >>> drops below my (self-imposed) target of 99.99% :-P
36 >>
37 >> What do you do when you need to upgrade the host, rather than the guest?
40 > I think setting up a VM on the server using the new kernel should help
41 > test a new kernel?
42 >
43 > --
44 > Nilesh Govindarajan
45 > http://nileshgr.com
46
47 I haven't used a virtualized OS in awhile but the last time I did the
48 hardware interacting with the virtualized OS was also virtualized and
49 wasn't representative of the actual hardware. I don't think I can
50 test the interaction between a kernel and my actual hardware from a
51 virtual OS.
52
53 - Grant