From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:40:38
1 On Aug 14, 2005, at 9:01 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > Paul Hoy wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:42:19 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty
12 >>>> good job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other
13 >>>> releases, such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates,
14 >>>> etc.
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>
18 >>> Gentoo has rolling updates, so it is always up to date. If you
19 >>> want to
20 >>> run the latest of everything you will need to run a ~arch system.
21 >>> There
22 >>> are no releases for Gentoo beyond the installation live CDs. Once
23 >>> installed, provided you keep up to date, there is no difference
24 >>> between a
25 >>> system installed three years ago and one installed yesterday.
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>> --
29 >>> Neil Bothwick
30 >>>
31 >>> Windows Error #09: Game Over. Exiting Windows.
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >> Hi Neil,
35 >> ~arch is a little scary for me, since it's not in the stable branch.
38 > We, you do know that you can pick which ~arch packages you want,
39 > right? In most cases it's pretty safe to use a "keyword masked"
40 > package, especially if the masked package is not depended on by
41 > your core gentoo system.
42 >
43 > Zac
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
50 Hi Zac,
51
52 Yes, I know how to unmask. But, when you say "pick which ~arch
53 packages...," does this mean I can search for ~arch packages too or
54 do I have to set the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable?
55
56 Paul
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list