From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:02:10
1 Paul Hoy wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:42:19 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
8 >>> I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty good
9 >>> job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases,
10 >>> such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Gentoo has rolling updates, so it is always up to date. If you want to
14 >> run the latest of everything you will need to run a ~arch system. There
15 >> are no releases for Gentoo beyond the installation live CDs. Once
16 >> installed, provided you keep up to date, there is no difference between a
17 >> system installed three years ago and one installed yesterday.
20 >> --
21 >> Neil Bothwick
22 >>
23 >> Windows Error #09: Game Over. Exiting Windows.
26 > Hi Neil,
27 >
28 > ~arch is a little scary for me, since it's not in the stable branch.
31 We, you do know that you can pick which ~arch packages you want, right? In most cases it's pretty safe to use a "keyword masked" package, especially if the masked package is not depended on by your core gentoo system.
32
33 Zac
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list