From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:47:00
1 On 07/31/2013 11:20 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 >
3 > For the record, I now think it's a waste of time trying to stop the
4 > installation of tiny files that basically do nothing, either in
5 > /usr/lib/systemd/system or in /etc/init.d, but you have the option if
6 > you so desire.
7
8 The nice thing about the systemd service files is that they're
9 distribution independent. That means the service file can go upstream,
10 and the daemon's authors can make sure that it's correct. No more
11 duplication of effort for each distro maintainer.
12
13 Of course, you don't get that benefit unless you use systemd. But it's
14 tempting, right? So there's been some talk about getting openrc,
15 upstart, etc. to parse the systemd service files. That way, we'd get the
16 benefit without having to run systemd.
17
18 Should that dream ever become reality, you may one day get an unexpected
19 surprise if you INSTALL_MASK the service files. In any case, masking
20 them would be just one more make.conf setting you have to worry about.
21 If it makes the situation more palatable, note that the service files
22 come from the package authors, and not from the systemd people.