From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [konsole] How to run a command, then leave the shell open?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:37:31
1 Hi Hilco,
2
3 answers and suggestions inline.
4
5 Am 22.02.2012 03:03, schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:
6 > Hi all,
7 >
8 > Every morning I start konsole, type "emerge --sync", and then go do
9 > other stuff. Some time later I look at the output and usually run
10 > "emerge ... world". I would like to automate that a bit more.
11 Just a suggestion: Do you know the porticron script? Combined with a
12 proper setup of ssmtp, it will sync you portage tree daily (in the
13 background) and send you an email with all updates, and important
14 security notes.
15 > I can use kpart to start konsole on a particular desktop so that's
16 > easy. What I can't seem to get working is the "$SHELL --login" +
17 > "emerge --sync" part.
18 >
19 > If I run "konsole --noclose -e emerge --sync" then I get the output I
20 > want but I don't get a prompt. If I run "konsole -e $SHELL --login"
21 > then I get the prompt but, obviously, no emerge output.
22 >
23 > How can I combine these two? I would like konsole to run emerge --sync
24 > and then leave a prompt open. Just like what would happen if I did it
25 > all manually. Any ideas?
26 I don't use konsole, but try out: konsole -e $SHELL -c "emerge --sync &&
27 $SHELL --login"
28 > Cheers,
29 > Hilco
30 Regards,