From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:32:42
1 Am Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:45:13PM +0100 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:56:49 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >
4 > > I reached 80 % usage (which is the recommended maximum for ZFS) and am
5 > > now evaluating my options for the coming years.
6 > > 1) Reduce use of space by re-encoding. My payload is mainly movies,
7 > > among which are 3 TB of DVDs which can be shrunk by at least ⅔ by
8 > > re-encoding. → this takes time and computing effort, but is a long-term
9 > > goal anyway. 2) Replace all drives with bigger ones. There are three
10 > > counter arguments:
11 > > • 1000 € for four 10 TB drives (the biggest size available w/o
12 > > helium)
13 > > • they are only available with 7200 rpm (more power, noise and heat)
14 > > • I am left with four perfectly fine 6 TB drives
15 > > 3) Go for 4+2 RaidZ2. This requires a bigger case (with new PSU due to
16 > > different form factor) and a SATA expansion card b/c the Mobo only
17 > > has six connectors (I need at least one more for the system drive),
18 > > costing 250 € plus drives.
19 > > 4) Convert to RaidZ1. Gain space of one drive at the cost of
20 > > resilience. I can live with the latter; the server only runs
21 > > occasionally and not for very long at a time. *** This option brings me
22 > > to my question above, because it is easy to achieve and costs no €€€.
23 >
24 > 5) (or 3a) Add an eSATA card and expand the RAID with external drives.
25 > That way you can stick with 6TB drives.
26
27 Antlist made a similar suggestion using external USB, and I gave a more
28 detailed answer in reply to his mail.
29
30 Your proposal, though different regarding filesystem setup, has the same
31 drawbacks: I am dependent on an external case with its own power supply.
32 Having everything in one case is very convenient when I want to take the
33 data on a visit to someone – and it keeps my flat cleaner. :D
34
35 I actually looked at external enclosures that I could simply hook up to a
36 host computer, which then does all the work of speaking to the individual
37 disks. The problems with that:
38 - The host needs ECC RAM. NUC-Class devices don’t support that. Even most
39 consumer boards don’t (at least officially).
40 - USB is not suitable for RAID because it lacks protocol features in case of
41 errors.
42 - It’s also a costly endeavour.
43
44 I found exactly one case that can hold 6 disks – it cost almost 700 € and
45 only speaks firewire, which none of my hosts do. My NAS hardware was
46 actually cheaper than that, including server-grade Mobo, 16 GIG of ECC RAM,
47 a Gold-rated PSU, and an i3 with custom cooler.
48
49 Tata.
52 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
53 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
54
55 “If wishes were horses we’d all be eating steak.” – Jayne, Firefly