From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:45:30
1 On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:56:49 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2
3 > I reached 80 % usage (which is the recommended maximum for ZFS) and am
4 > now evaluating my options for the coming years.
5 > 1) Reduce use of space by re-encoding. My payload is mainly movies,
6 > among which are 3 TB of DVDs which can be shrunk by at least ⅔ by
7 > re-encoding. → this takes time and computing effort, but is a long-term
8 > goal anyway. 2) Replace all drives with bigger ones. There are three
9 > counter arguments:
10 > • 1000 € for four 10 TB drives (the biggest size available w/o
11 > helium)
12 > • they are only available with 7200 rpm (more power, noise and heat)
13 > • I am left with four perfectly fine 6 TB drives
14 > 3) Go for 4+2 RaidZ2. This requires a bigger case (with new PSU due to
15 > different form factor) and a SATA expansion card b/c the Mobo only
16 > has six connectors (I need at least one more for the system drive),
17 > costing 250 € plus drives.
18 > 4) Convert to RaidZ1. Gain space of one drive at the cost of
19 > resilience. I can live with the latter; the server only runs
20 > occasionally and not for very long at a time. *** This option brings me
21 > to my question above, because it is easy to achieve and costs no €€€.
22
23 5) (or 3a) Add an eSATA card and expand the RAID with external drives.
24 That way you can stick with 6TB drives.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Bagpipe for free: Stuff cat under arm. Pull legs, chew tail.