From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo laptop issues
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:23:43
1 Miernik wrote:
2 > list-catcher <list-catcher@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> The most important of the problems involves the fan. The laptop gets a
5 >> whole lot hotter using linux while compiling than it did using vista
6 >> while compiling which implies that there is some fan control missing
7 >> from my install. What sort of ebuilds/apps should I be looking at to
8 >> solve the problem?
11 I don't mean to be insulting but are you sure you were "compiling" under
12 Vista? Typically, most users of Windows systems don't "compile". They
13 just install pre-compiled binaries or "packages" if you will. But maybe
14 you are a developer who actually compiles software under Windows...
15
16 Anyway, the reason I ask is because unless your were actually running
17 your CPU at full load under Windows, it's normal to have your system
18 become warmer while emerging packages on Gentoo because you are actually
19 "compiling" instead of just installing.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Drew