From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] BIOS Best settings (no o.c.) for RYZEN 5 3600 / MSI Tomahawk max ?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 06:04:47
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 05/16 12:46, Dale wrote:
3 >> tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am trying to figure out the best settings (performance wise) for a
7 >>> AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI Tomahawk max motherboard.
8 >>>
9 >>> I don't want to overclock -- tweaking the bios is for finding
10 >>> the optimal setting in oposite to waste performance via sub-optimal
11 >>> settings like not activateing XMP profile and running the RAM at
12 >>> JEDEC speeds instead of what the vendor guaranties.
13 >>>
14 >>> Unfortunately, there are quite a view settings to which I didn't
15 >>> find any explanation, for what they are good.
16 >>>
17 >>> Any help is very appreciated! :)
18 >>>
19 >>> Cheers,
20 >>> Meino
21 >> I usually buy boards that can overclock but don't do it.  What I usually
22 >> look for once I get my CPU, memory and all installed, the selection for
23 >> optimized settings or something to that effect.  I've always found that
24 >> that setting works pretty darn well.  I had to tweak the IOMMU or
25 >> something setting but other than that, I let it detect the best
26 >> settings.  If I upgrade the BIOS, I repeat that on the first boot up.
27 >> In my experience, it picks good safe settings that result in stable
28 >> systems.
29 >>
30 >> I've never had a MSI mobo, yet, so it may be called something different
31 >> but even Dell and Gateway usually have something similar to choose.  It
32 >> may be worth looking into .
33 >>
34 >> Dale
35 >>
36 >> :-)  :-)
37 > Hi Dale,
38 >
39 > thanks for your info! :)
40 >
41 > I think it is called "Auto" with the MSI bios.
42 > When using this, JEDEC timings and a command rate of 2
43 > instead of 1 are choosen for DDR4 (as an example)...which
44 > isn't optimal.
45 >
46 > These "Auto" were the reason for better settings.
47 > I think I have to tweak the bios settings by hand...
48 >
49 > Cheers!
50 > Meino
53 Maybe for once I got lucky and something worked.  ROFL  I once visited
54 the overclockers forum and found a listing for the "safe" settings for
55 all sorts of Mobo and CPU and memory combinations.  That was back in my
56 ABIT NF7?? days.  I don't know if they still post those or not.  The
57 overclockers forum isn't just about overclocking.  They have info on
58 what is considered safe as well.  May be worth searching for info there
59 as well as what people share here.  If you lucky, someone has the same
60 hardware you have and can share a screenshot or something.
61
62 This is a link to the home page.  You can get to the forums as well as
63 how-tos and such from there.
64
65 https://www.overclockers.com/
66
67 Hope that helps.  Even one piece of good info can make it worthwhile.
68 You don't want the smoke to get out of a chip or something.  o_O
69
70 Dale
71