From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] BIOS Best settings (no o.c.) for RYZEN 5 3600 / MSI Tomahawk max ?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 12:53:12
1 On 05/16 01:04, Dale wrote:
2 > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 05/16 12:46, Dale wrote:
4 > >> tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > >>> Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> I am trying to figure out the best settings (performance wise) for a
8 > >>> AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI Tomahawk max motherboard.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> I don't want to overclock -- tweaking the bios is for finding
11 > >>> the optimal setting in oposite to waste performance via sub-optimal
12 > >>> settings like not activateing XMP profile and running the RAM at
13 > >>> JEDEC speeds instead of what the vendor guaranties.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Unfortunately, there are quite a view settings to which I didn't
16 > >>> find any explanation, for what they are good.
17 > >>>
18 > >>> Any help is very appreciated! :)
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Cheers,
21 > >>> Meino
22 > >> I usually buy boards that can overclock but don't do it.  What I usually
23 > >> look for once I get my CPU, memory and all installed, the selection for
24 > >> optimized settings or something to that effect.  I've always found that
25 > >> that setting works pretty darn well.  I had to tweak the IOMMU or
26 > >> something setting but other than that, I let it detect the best
27 > >> settings.  If I upgrade the BIOS, I repeat that on the first boot up.
28 > >> In my experience, it picks good safe settings that result in stable
29 > >> systems.
30 > >>
31 > >> I've never had a MSI mobo, yet, so it may be called something different
32 > >> but even Dell and Gateway usually have something similar to choose.  It
33 > >> may be worth looking into .
34 > >>
35 > >> Dale
36 > >>
37 > >> :-)  :-)
38 > > Hi Dale,
39 > >
40 > > thanks for your info! :)
41 > >
42 > > I think it is called "Auto" with the MSI bios.
43 > > When using this, JEDEC timings and a command rate of 2
44 > > instead of 1 are choosen for DDR4 (as an example)...which
45 > > isn't optimal.
46 > >
47 > > These "Auto" were the reason for better settings.
48 > > I think I have to tweak the bios settings by hand...
49 > >
50 > > Cheers!
51 > > Meino
54 > Maybe for once I got lucky and something worked.  ROFL  I once visited
55 > the overclockers forum and found a listing for the "safe" settings for
56 > all sorts of Mobo and CPU and memory combinations.  That was back in my
57 > ABIT NF7?? days.  I don't know if they still post those or not.  The
58 > overclockers forum isn't just about overclocking.  They have info on
59 > what is considered safe as well.  May be worth searching for info there
60 > as well as what people share here.  If you lucky, someone has the same
61 > hardware you have and can share a screenshot or something.
62 >
63 > This is a link to the home page.  You can get to the forums as well as
64 > how-tos and such from there.
65 >
66 > https://www.overclockers.com/
67 >
68 > Hope that helps.  Even one piece of good info can make it worthwhile.
69 > You don't want the smoke to get out of a chip or something.  o_O
70 >
71 > Dale
72 >
73 > :-)  :-)
74
75 Hi Dale,
76
77 without your help/info I would have NEVER checked an overclockers
78 forum for information about the direct opposite of it ! ;)
79
80 Thanks a lot, Dale! Will grep the forum there!
81
82 Cheers!
83 Meino