From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD boot - dmesg buffer depth option?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:45:22
1 On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 02:17:26PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:16:14AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > >> I'm trying to capture the full boot log when booting from the Gentoo
5 > >> install CD but it seems the buffer isn't deep enough to get the whole
6 > >> thing. Is there by chance a command line option that will increase the
7 > >> depth of what's captured by dmesg so that I can get all the way back
8 > >> to the beginning?
9 > >
10 > > pass the following parameter to the kernel on GRUB/LILO:
11 > >
12 > > log_buf_len=n
13 > >
14 > > where n is a power of two. By default it is 16384. You can change it
15 > > to 131072 (= 2^17) to get a much larger kernel log ring buffer. If you
16 > > put in something that is not a power of two, the kernel will ignore
17 > > the option.
18 > >
19 > In my normal booting kernel (on the system hard drive) I did push
20 > the length up to 18. With that setting dmesg prints all the way back
21 > to the beginning. However booting the Live CD I hit F1, it shows the
22 > kernels, so I type
25 to add to the confusion is probably the fact that the in-kernel
26 configuration parameter is a bit-shift number, and the boot-time
27 cmdline parameter is actually 2 to that power. So the in-kernel
28 configuration parameter should be k (=18 in your case), and the
29 boot-time parameter should be 2^k (=262144).
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 W
34 --
35 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
36 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
37 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton