From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD boot - dmesg buffer depth option?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:03:38
1 On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:16:14AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> I'm trying to capture the full boot log when booting from the Gentoo
4 >> install CD but it seems the buffer isn't deep enough to get the whole
5 >> thing. Is there by chance a command line option that will increase the
6 >> depth of what's captured by dmesg so that I can get all the way back
7 >> to the beginning?
8 >
9 > pass the following parameter to the kernel on GRUB/LILO:
10 >
11 > log_buf_len=n
12 >
13 > where n is a power of two. By default it is 16384. You can change it
14 > to 131072 (= 2^17) to get a much larger kernel log ring buffer. If you
15 > put in something that is not a power of two, the kernel will ignore
16 > the option.
17 >
18 > You may also have to pass an additional parameter to dmesg to read the
19 > early messages: look at 'man dmesg' and the -s flag.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 >
23 > W
24 > --
25
26 Hi Willie,
27 Thanks for the ideas. I've been trying them but so far no luck.
28
29 In my normal booting kernel (on the system hard drive) I did push
30 the length up to 18. With that setting dmesg prints all the way back
31 to the beginning. However booting the Live CD I hit F1, it shows the
32 kernels, so I type
33
34 gentoo log_buf_len=18
35
36 and then boot, but dmesg never goes back to the beginning. I've also
37 tried dmesg -s 300000 but still the results are cut off somewhere down
38 in the stack and I never see the first part of the buffer.
39
40 I'm looking at this page for some info:
41
42 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch09.pdf
43
44 Reading about log_buf_len I also see earlyprintk and time options. I
45 tried them at the Live CD command line but it didn't change what I'm
46 getting in dmesg like it did on my regular kernel.
47
48 I'll continue to study.
49
50 Thanks,