From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:03:05
1 > quoth the b.n.:
2 > > darren kirby ha scritto:
3 > > > Well, you can install RPM...
4 > > >
5 > > > # emerge -p rpm
6 > > >
7 > > > You could then, presumably, install the RPM, though I have not ever
8 > > > tried this:
9 > > > # rpm -i foopackage.i386.rpm
10 > >
11 > > I fear this way Portage would not be aware of the package being
12 > > installed. Am I wrong?
13 > >
14 > > m.
15 >
16 > I've no idea, but likely not. To tell the truth I was hoping the OP would
17 > be brave and find out ;)
18 >
19 > I was thinking he just had a one-off app he needed installed, and combined
20 > with some 'package.provided' alchemy he may be able to get the result he
21 > needed, however, in his response it seems this is not the case so...
22 >
23 > -d
24 > --
25 > darren kirby
26
27 Maybe I should formulate another question: Where is the big difference between
28 a binary ebuild and a binary rpm / deb and why is it so hard to convert them?