From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] kill a child and suicide
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 07:46:27
1 On Wed, 3 May 2006, Zac Slade wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 03 May 2006 16:04, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >> But I won't be able to use svc to interact with the child. That's why I
5 >> feel I must reformulate the whole setup.
6 > If you need deeper interaction with a child process then you might need to
7 > look outside the realm of shell. I'd suggest looking at perl. Not that you
8 > can't accomplish what you are looking for with bash scripting, but you may be
9 > better served by using a more full featured programming language than shell
10 > offers.
11 >
12 Perhaps. I know more of Perl than of Bash, but a shell script is the
13 usual way to run a process supervised by daemontools. The problem with
14 backgrounding the child is that it may die for some reason and supervise
15 won't be able to ressurrect it.
16 I'll take a look at CPAN...
17 Thanks.
20 Jorge Almeida