From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to cmake?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:40:56
1 On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 7:25 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Thursday, 26 August 2021 10:49:38 BST tastytea wrote:
5 >
6 > > You need to run cmake in the directory that has the top-level
7 > > CMakeLists.txt. Use cmake -S . -B build from the top-level directory.
8 > > This whill use . as source directory and build as build directory.
9 > > You will need kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules.¹
10 >
11 > Okay, I did that. It ran for much longer, and threw no errors, and once
12 again
13 > it ended with 'Build files have been written to:
14 /usr/local/src/kdfm-code/src'.
15 > Then:
16 >
17 > wstn /usr/local/src/kdfm-code # cmake ./src
18 > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-
19 > root'
20 > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-
21 > root'
22 > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-
23 > root'
24 > -- Could not set up the appstream test. appstreamcli is missing.
25 > [...]
26 > -- Configuring done
27 > [...]
28 > -- Generating done
29 > -- Build files have been written to: /usr/local/src/kdfm-code/src
30 >
31 > Google hasn't helped with appstreamcli being missing.
32 >
33 > Have the build files been written or not? What do I do with them?
34 >
35 > > ¹ <https://sourceforge.net/p/kdfm/code/ci/master/tree/CMakeLists.txt#l8>
36 >
37 > I don't see the relevance of that.
38 >
39 > Sorry to be thick, but my coding days are >30 years behind me, and that
40 > was in a different area entirely.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Regards,
44 > Peter.
45
46 Peter,
47 I'm no expert at this but a year ago I wanted to try fixing a few bugs
48 in the KDE solitaire game and was faced with understanding and building the
49 code. After numerous problems like yours above I ended up deciding I needed
50 a development environment and chose KDevelop. Once I did that, with a
51 little more study, I was able to build the program and run it. You might
52 give something like that a try.
53
54 On the downside, KDevelop is pretty big and heavy. I don't know how the
55 updates run on that program but building it would likely be a bit of a time
56 sink if you don't already have it installed and then keeping it updated
57 could possibly be more time. On Ubuntu it's a non-issue.
58
59 Good luck,
60 Mark