From: Joshua D Doll <joshua.doll@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:18:13
1 Hal Martin wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 >> Platoali <platoali <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 >>> I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
8 >>> Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
9 >>>
10 > Just a suggestion, wait about a month before you buy, if you can. Both
11 > ATi and nVidia are poised to release new generations of cards, both
12 > which outperform their predecessors at a lower price point.
13 >> All religious questions, imho. Nvidia might have the latest edge in
14 >> pure performance, but, the movement to open up sources is definitely
15 >> an opportunity for a game changing situation, imho.
16 >>
17 > nVidia user here, I haven't had any problems with their drivers. Sure,
18 > there's the occasional version with a memory leak, etc... and when
19 > that happens I just downgrade to the last stable version and wait for
20 > a better one to come out.
24 >>> And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
25 >>> regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
26 >>> thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
27 >>> anyone have any comment about them?
28 >>>
29 > Again, I haven't had any difficulties with the nVidia drivers. I'm
30 > running a GeForce 7900GTX, which uses the same linux driver as the
31 > Quadro does.
32 >> kernel newbies has some information for you to start your research:
33 >> Section 3 DRIVERS:
34 >> Section 3.1 Graphics:
35 >> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
36 >>
37 >> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges#head-d08660c208028aa2b3783826cd7935ab510b736f
41 >> You might also use this page for comparison purposes:
42 >>
43 >> http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test/benchmark-results.html
46 >> Personally, I like ATI, but it more because I believe that
47 >> AMD will come closer to doing what's best for opensource
48 >> rather than Nvidia or Intel. It would be great if I'm wrong....
49 >>
50 Doesn't Intel contribute drivers and code to very many F/OSS projects
51 including the kernel and Xorg?
52
53 --Joshua Doll
57 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list