From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:15:20
1 James wrote:
2 > Platoali <platoali <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >> I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
7 >> Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
8 >>
9 Just a suggestion, wait about a month before you buy, if you can. Both
10 ATi and nVidia are poised to release new generations of cards, both
11 which outperform their predecessors at a lower price point.
12 > All religious questions, imho. Nvidia might have the latest edge in
13 > pure performance, but, the movement to open up sources is definitely
14 > an opportunity for a game changing situation, imho.
15 >
16 nVidia user here, I haven't had any problems with their drivers. Sure,
17 there's the occasional version with a memory leak, etc... and when that
18 happens I just downgrade to the last stable version and wait for a
19 better one to come out.
23 >> And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
24 >> regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
25 >> thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
26 >> anyone have any comment about them?
27 >>
28 Again, I haven't had any difficulties with the nVidia drivers. I'm
29 running a GeForce 7900GTX, which uses the same linux driver as the
30 Quadro does.
31 > kernel newbies has some information for you to start your research:
32 > Section 3 DRIVERS:
33 > Section 3.1 Graphics:
34 > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
35 >
36 > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges#head-d08660c208028aa2b3783826cd7935ab510b736f
39 > You might also use this page for comparison purposes:
40 >
41 > http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test/benchmark-results.html
42 >
43 > Personally, I like ATI, but it more because I believe that
44 > AMD will come closer to doing what's best for opensource
45 > rather than Nvidia or Intel. It would be great if I'm wrong....
46 >
47 > When you spend your money, you are "casting a vote", imho.
50 > hth,
51 >
52 > James
56 -Hal