From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:00:14
1 Platoali <platoali <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
5 > Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
8 All religious questions, imho. Nvidia might have the latest edge in
9 pure performance, but, the movement to open up sources is definitely
10 an opportunity for a game changing situation, imho.
14 > And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
15 > regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
16 > thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
17 > anyone have any comment about them?
18
19 kernel newbies has some information for you to start your research:
20 Section 3 DRIVERS:
21 Section 3.1 Graphics:
22 http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
23
24 http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges#head-d08660c208028aa2b3783826cd7935ab510b736f
27 You might also use this page for comparison purposes:
28
29 http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test/benchmark-results.html
30
31 Personally, I like ATI, but it more because I believe that
32 AMD will come closer to doing what's best for opensource
33 rather than Nvidia or Intel. It would be great if I'm wrong....
34
35 When you spend your money, you are "casting a vote", imho.
38 hth,
39
40 James
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list