From: Platoali <platoali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:12:25
Well, last night the graphic card of my laptop got broken. So I'm
considering to replace it with a workstation for some graphic
applications (Mainly blender and gimp.) I need 3d acceleration, and my
poor laptop was rendering for hours to get my job done. So I decide to
buy a workstation instead a laptop. I want to ask, which graphic cards
 are better supported in Linux. I know that ATI have freed or in the
process of freeing their graphic cards driver. But I did not have any
good memory from my previous experience with ATI. My previous card was
ATI radeon 9600m and it never worked the way  it had to  until broken.
I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?

And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
regardless of how much open/free  the drivers is. I'm currently
thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
anyone have any comment about them?

Best regards
Platoali