From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About the change from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:34:29
1 I hadn't done a full reinstall for a good while, long enough that I
2 missed out on whateve was said about the change over from using
3 /etc/X11/xorg.conf to control the X display to whatever does it now.
4
5 So my first question is what does do it?.. I have a nice desktop but
6 no /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
7
8 However under the new setup, I'm missing one major thing. It has to
9 do with resolution of the desktop. Using Xfce4, I see no way to
10 adjust the res above 1024x798 using the applet provided for that
11 purpuse, when I'm used to a much more massive size. 2048x1536 that I
12 used to get by puting this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
13
14 Subsection "Display"
15 Depth 24
16 Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
17 Virtual 2048 1536
18 ViewPort 0 0
19 EndSubsection
20
21 I used something this size for years and really do miss it. I like to
22 be able to flop around on the massive deskop.
23
24 It has a second unintended benefit too... it keeps most people off my
25 computer since slithering around on something that size can be very
26 disconcerting to the uninitiated. I've learned that grand kids really
27 don't like it... hehe.
28
29 So, where would I make such a setting in the new arrangement?... I
30 suspect I could force a return to xorg.conf... but would sooner
31 understand how to utilize the new proceedure.