From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clock/Daylight Savings
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:44:20
1 On Thursday 19 April 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thursday 19 April 2007, "Dan Cowsill" <danthehat@×××××.com> wrote
3 >
4 > about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Clock/Daylight Savings':
5 > > I dual boot windows on my system, and for some reason, windows
6 > > can't keep the time straight after the change.
7 >
8 > Windows expects the hardware clock to be in local time. (Open)NTPd
9 > uses UTC for all it's time values. You have to do some magic that I
10 > don't know to get Linux/BSD ntp daemons to play well with windows
11 > *and* properly correct for time.
12
13 Can that even be done without a kludge?
14
15 The only method I can think of would be to adjust the Windows time when
16 it boots, and to ensure Windows never updates the hardware clock.
17
18 My TZ is GMT +2, and on my own dual-boot machines I had to decide
19 whether *nix or Windows would have broken time settings. I'm happy to
20 report that the decision was really a no-brainer...
21
22 alan
25 Optimists say the glass is half full,
26 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
27 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
28
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
31 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list