From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting with kernel 3.10.17 - services fail to start. Help, please!
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:29:33
1 Hi, Tom.
2
3 Thanks for such a rapid reply.
4
5 On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:50:16PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
6 > On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 21:26:08 +0000
7 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
8
9 > > My evidence for this failure comes from "$ rc config show -all": every
10 > > visible service is marked as being "[stopped]". If I try "$ rc config
11 > > start <service-name>", I get told something like "service is already
12 > > starting". The same happens with "$ rc config restart".
13
14 > Check /var/log/messages.
15
16 I'm only seeing messages from my sessions with my working kernel. The
17 only partition which ever gets mounted in 3.10.17 is /, and that only
18 read only. :-(
19
20 > > I'm also missing messages from OpenRC. I see only these:
21
22 > > Mounting /proc
23 > > Mounting /run
24 > > /run/openrc: creating directory
25 > > /run/lock: creating directory
26 > > /run/lock: correcting owner
27
28 > > Enter runlevel:
29
30 > > . The first message I expect, but don't see (after the "correcting
31 > > owner" one) is:
32
33 > > Using /dev mounted from kernel
34
35 > Is CONFIG_TMPFS, CONFIG_DEVTMPFS and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled in
36 > the kernel? These caused problems in the early boot in the past.
37
38 All these three are enabled in the kernel, yes.
39
40 > > . (By the way, are OpenRC messages written to a log anywhere?)
41
42 > Enable rc_logger="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and check /var/log/rc.log.
43
44 :-( My /var never gets mounted, and even my root partition only gets
45 mounted read only. There was a log file at /run/openrc/rc.log, but it
46 only contained info about the previous shutdown.
47
48 > > To the "Enter runlevel: " prompt, I type "3", and OpenRC instantly
49 > > displays the login prompt (rather than after starting the "default"
50 > > services).
51
52 > I'm not sure why it asks you, might be something crucial failing.
53
54 No, that's just that I don't have a default runlevel set in my
55 /etc/inittab.
56
57 > > I can log in as root. /dev exists, pretty much as normal, except the
58 > > device-mapper devices used by lvm are missing.
59
60 > Did you set up the initramfs?
61
62 My system doesn't use an initramfs.
63
64 > > Either I've made a mistake configuring my kernel, or there's some new
65 > > piece of configuration needed which I've somehow missed hearing about.
66 > > I suppose I really ought to include my kernel config here, but I'll
67 > > not, at least not yet, since it's 2737 lines long.
68
69 > You can attach it to the email if needed.
70
71 Maybe later.
72
73 > > Please help me sort out this bug. Thanks!
74
75 > I hope /var/log/messages or /var/log/rc.log contains more details for
76 > us, to help you out; could you share those (attach or pastebin)?
77
78 They lack any entries generated by the runs with the broken kernel. So
79 far, I've not managed to find any useful information. :-(
80
81 > --
82 > With kind regards,
83