From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:36:38
1 On Jan 4, 2012 6:19 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:31:20 +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I know. It's the "I want to get the rid of initramfs" thing that looks
8 >>> crazy to me.
9 >>
10 >> No one is saying they want to get rid of the initramfs, because they are
11 >> not using one. What people object to is being forced to start using one.
15 > You got that right. I have not used one since I started using Gentoo.
16 Now, I may very well have to start. I hope mdev gets to a point where it
17 works really well on desktop systems.
20 You were there in the thread linked by Walt, udev is just one of several
21 packages maintained by RH people that *demands* /usr to be mounted during
22 boot.
23
24 And the RH devels insistence to deprecate /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin...
25
26 I'm getting depressed. One battle might be won (mdev vs udev), but there's
27 still a war against the RH braindeadness...
28
29 Rgds,