From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:11:25
1 On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 01:46:45AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On 18/12/2014 04:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 > >> Is there any advantage one way or the other emerging firefox.bin vs firefox?
6 > >
7 > > Depends on your needs:
8 > > […]
9 > > firefox-bin:
10 > > […]
11 > > - con: poor integration with the rest of your system. Files go where
12 > > Mozilla says they go, the devs can only do so much to make stuff standard.
15 > > As I see it, go with firefox unless you can't spend the cpu cycles to
16 > > build it locally. That's true of almost all -bin packages
17 >
18 > Thanks posters... and especially this compete walk-thru.
19 >
20 > Looks like its best to stick to the gentoo way of doing things and go
21 > with non `bin'.
22
23 The only real problem I have with Firefox-bin (though I have no idea whether
24 the non-bin is any better) is that it doesn't install as many icon files,
25 which usually leaves me with too small an icon in KDE’s Alt-Tab switcher. I
26 don’t have this problem on Arch.
27
28 I once -- just for fun -- compiled Firefox on an Atom N450. This has no effect
29 on the loading time of 20 seconds. ^^
32 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
33 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
34
35 I think, therefore I am at the wrong place.