From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 01:54:16
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 18/12/2014 04:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Is there any advantage one way or the other emerging firefox.bin vs firefox?
5 >
6 > Depends on your needs:
7 >
8 > firefox:
9 > - pro: you get all the USE flags
10 > - pro: you don't get bundled libs from Mozilla, the ebuild can use
11 > system libs
12 > - pro: the compiled binaries are integrated into gentoo like other ebuilds
13 > - con: slow compiles. I have 8 i7 cores and 16G. the merge takes 20-35
14 > minutes...
18 > firefox-bin:
19 > - pro: fast install. It's a binary package
20 > - con: you get all of Mozilla's bundled libs
21 > - con: No USE, no choices. If Mozilla eg decides to ship with
22 > pulseaudio, then that is what you must have on your end
23 > - con: poor integration with the rest of your system. Files go where
24 > Mozilla says they go, the devs can only do so much to make stuff standard.
27 > As I see it, go with firefox unless you can't spend the cpu cycles to
28 > build it locally. That's true of almost all -bin packages
29
30 Thanks posters... and especially this compete walk-thru.
31
32 Looks like its best to stick to the gentoo way of doing things and go
33 with non `bin'.