From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:34:51
1 On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Just why can't you? ZFS apparently can do such things --- yet what's
7 >>> the difference in performance of ZFS compared to hardware raid?
8 >>> Software raid with MD makes for quite a slowdown.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Well, there is certainly no reason that you couldn't serialize a
12 >> logical volume as far as design goes. It just isn't implemented (as
13 >> far as I'm aware), though you certainly can just dd the contents of a
14 >> logical volume.
15 >
16 > You can use dd to make a copy. Then what do you do with this copy? I
17 > suppose you can't just use dd to write the copy into another volume
18 > group and have it show up as desired. You might destroy the volume
19 > group instead ...
20
21 You can dd from a logical volume into a file, and from a file into a
22 logical volume. You won't destroy the volume group unless you do
23 something dumb like trying to copy it directly onto a physical volume.
24 Logical volumes are just block devices as far as the kernel is
25 concerned.
28 >> ZFS performs far better in such situations because you're usually just
29 >> snapshotting and not copying data at all (though ZFS DOES support
30 >> serialization which of course requires copying data, though it can be
31 >> done very efficiently if you're snapshotting since the filesystem can
32 >> detect changes without having to read everything).
33 >
34 > How's the performance of software raid vs. hardware raid vs. ZFS raid
35 > (which is also software raid)?
36
37 Well, depends on your hardware. mdadm does pretty well though I'm
38 sure a very good quality hardware RAID will outperform it. I would
39 think that ZFS would outperform both for some workloads, and
40 underperform it for others - it works very differently. ZFS doesn't
41 have the write hole and all that, but I would think that large (many
42 stripes) internal writes to files would work worse since ZFS has to
43 juggle metadata and other filesystems will overwrite it in place.
46 >> Incidentally, other than lacking maturity btrfs has the same
47 >> capabilities.
48 >
49 > IIRC, there are things that btrfs can't do and ZFS can, like sending a
50 > FS over the network.
51
52 There are things that each filesystem can do that the other cannot.
53 That doesn't include sending a filesystem over the network. btrfs
54 send can serialize snapshots or the differences between two snapshots.
57 > How about ZFS as root file system? I'd rather create a pool over all
58 > the disks and create file systems within the pool than use something
59 > like ext4 to get the system to boot.
60
61 I doubt zfs is supported by grub and such, so you'd have to do the
62 usual in-betweens as you're eluding to. However, I suspect it would
63 generally work. I haven't really used zfs personally other than
64 tinkering around a bit in a VM.
67 > And how do I convert a system installed on an ext4 FS (on a hardware
68 > raid-1) to ZFS? I can plug in another two disks, create a ZFS pool from
69 > them, make file systems (like for /tmp, /var, /usr ...) and copy
70 > everything over. But how do I make it bootable?
73 I'm pretty sure you'd need an initramfs and a boot partition that is
74 readable by the bootloader. You can skip that with btrfs, but not
75 with zfs. GRUB is FSF so I doubt they'll be doing anything about zfs
76 anytime soon. Otherwise, you'll have to copy everything over - btrfs
77 can do in-place ext4 conversion, but not zfs.
80 Rich