From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:46:13
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Just why can't you? ZFS apparently can do such things --- yet what's
6 >> the difference in performance of ZFS compared to hardware raid?
7 >> Software raid with MD makes for quite a slowdown.
10 > Well, there is certainly no reason that you couldn't serialize a
11 > logical volume as far as design goes. It just isn't implemented (as
12 > far as I'm aware), though you certainly can just dd the contents of a
13 > logical volume.
14
15 You can use dd to make a copy. Then what do you do with this copy? I
16 suppose you can't just use dd to write the copy into another volume
17 group and have it show up as desired. You might destroy the volume
18 group instead ...
19
20 > ZFS performs far better in such situations because you're usually just
21 > snapshotting and not copying data at all (though ZFS DOES support
22 > serialization which of course requires copying data, though it can be
23 > done very efficiently if you're snapshotting since the filesystem can
24 > detect changes without having to read everything).
25
26 How's the performance of software raid vs. hardware raid vs. ZFS raid
27 (which is also software raid)?
28
29 > Incidentally, other than lacking maturity btrfs has the same
30 > capabilities.
31
32 IIRC, there are things that btrfs can't do and ZFS can, like sending a
33 FS over the network.
34
35 > The reason ZFS (and btrfs) are able to perform better is that they
36 > dictate the filesystem, volume management, and RAID layers. md has to
37 > support arbitrary data being stored on top of it - it is just a big
38 > block device which is just a gigantic array. ZFS actually knows what
39 > is in all those blocks, and it doesn't need to copy data that it knows
40 > hasn't changed, protect blocks when it knows they don't contain data,
41 > and so on. You could probably improve on mdadm by implementing
42 > additional TRIM-like capabilities for it so that filesystems could
43 > inform it better about the state of blocks, which of course would have
44 > to be supported by the filesystem. However, I doubt it will ever work
45 > as well as something like ZFS where all this stuff is baked into every
46 > level of the design.
47
48 Well, I'm planning to make some tests with ZFS. Particularly, I want to
49 see how it performs when NFS clients write to an exported ZFS file
50 system.
51
52 How about ZFS as root file system? I'd rather create a pool over all
53 the disks and create file systems within the pool than use something
54 like ext4 to get the system to boot.
55
56 And how do I convert a system installed on an ext4 FS (on a hardware
57 raid-1) to ZFS? I can plug in another two disks, create a ZFS pool from
58 them, make file systems (like for /tmp, /var, /usr ...) and copy
59 everything over. But how do I make it bootable?
63 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
64 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.