From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panic on 5.4.2 - not sure of cause yet
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 06:15:55
1 On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 06:31:04 CET Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > I have been getting relatively consistent kernel panics on some call to
3 > find_css_set and sometimes a stack trace that mentions cgroups.
4
5 Can you provide the full kernel panic (a picture taken with phone or camera
6 attached to an email is fine as well) and tell us at which point this happens?
7
8 > On 5.4.0 I don't get this same crash and I added blocking of
9 > auto-loading nvidia under the ramdisk just in case that's the issue, as
10 > I was sometimes getting a similar crash on 5.4.0.
11
12 I am "still" on 5.3.14, but not encountering any kernel panics myself.
13
14 > /etc/default/grub:
15 >
16 > GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=lvm
17 > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
18
19 Not using systemd myself.
20
21 > systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=yes rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia
22 > rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_modeset rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_drm"
23 > GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="keep"
24 >
25 > The reason the legacy argument is there is because Docker won't work
26 > under the new cgroups, for now.
27 >
28 > I have a couple of modules, but the one that sticks out most is nvidia.
29 > This is the one I see in the stack trace. I have not seen a bug report
30 > on Gentoo or Nvidia's end.
31
32 Nvidia (and some other modules) "taint" the kernel. Any module that "taints"
33 the kernel WILL be listed when a kernel-panic occurs. I never found that info
34 really helpful as I never had those modules to be the cause.
35
36 > For now I've masked >5.4.0 gentoo-sources.
37 >
38 > Anyone else getting a similar issue?
39
40 No, but an upgrade to 5.4.x is on my todo-list.
43 Joost