From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Auto-mounting USB drive?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:37:05
1 On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 May 2009 05:35:46 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark: yes, I don't see any reason NOT to address by label (e2label or
5 >> whatever XFS / Reiser use) these days. The only thing I can think of
6 >> is that your USB drivers or the kernel module that does USB mass-
7 >> storage is not loaded in time during boot. Aren't there any messages
8 >> about failed mounts amongst the kernel messages on the screen?
9 >
10 > That's most likely the problem, I had a similar situation trying to mount
11 > an SD card at boot time. Two solutions are to mount the device later in
12 > the boot sequence, from /etc/conf.d/local, or to build the necessary
13 > modules into the kernel. Since you're mounting the USB device on boot,
14 > there's no point in having separate modules for USB.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19
20 Stroller & Neil,
21 Thanks. I don't know why but I hadn't considered the idea that the
22 USB driver would be better built into the kernel for this application.
23 Basically, this is a little PowerPC Mac Mini that I've turned into a
24 new HD Homerun/USB video storage MythTV backend server. I want to be
25 pretty confident that the hard drive is mounted because the machine is
26 headless and sitting in a corner. If someone turns it on after a power
27 failure I don't want to have to mess around to get the external
28 storage mounted. I don't need the drive mounted at boot time, but I
29 certainly want it up and running before the mythbackend script gets
30 started. If I get a power failure and someone restarts everything it
31 could be in the middle of a previous recording and I need the partial
32 recording to end up on USB.
33
34 I'll look at building in the USB driver into the kernel and using
35 e2label also.
36
37 I did actually manage to get it working using some udev rules that
38 I found in the forum, but I must say I don't really understand them
39 and never thought they were necessary. I'm glad you guys are thinking
40 the same way.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Mark