From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} reverse DNS problem?
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:07:45
1 On 6 Sep 2009, at 00:52, Grant wrote:
2
3 >>> When I try to send an email to a ucla.edu email address from my
4 >>> hosted
5 >>> server, the message bounces and I'm directed to this page:
6 >>>
7 >>> http://info.smtp.ucla.edu/faq.php
8 >>>
9 >>> which says:
10 >>>
11 >>> "The gateway disallows direct connections from residential broadband
12 >>> systems, from other dynamically allocated IP addresses, or from
13 >>> hosts
14 >>> with "generic" reverse DNS entries (ie, a variation of A-B-C-
15 >>> D.isp.com
16 >>> for D.C.B.A)."
17 >>>
18 >>> I do get this:
19 >>>
20 >>> $ ping -c 1 mydomain.com
21 >>> PING mydomain.com (m.y.i.p) 56(84) bytes of data.
22 >>> 64 bytes from p.i.y.m.static.reverse.myhost.com (m.y.i.p):
23 >>> icmp_seq=1
24 >>> ttl=49 time=1267 ms
25 >>>
26 >>> Does anyone know how to fix this?
27 >>
28 >> Have the company from whom you get your static IP set up the reverse
29 >> DNS to be your domain rather than the generic myhost.com address.
30 >
31 > So if I have multiple websites on the same server, I will have to pick
32 > a domain which will resolve for rDNS for all the domains?
33
34 If you're using Postfix, I think the important thing is that
35 myorigin / myhostname will match the rDNS.
36
37 That's what applies to the HELO thing, anyway.
38
39 I'm not really sure what's supposed to be wrong with your current
40 hostname, but if you can get the host to change the rDNS, then they
41 can surely change it to something suitable.
42
43 Stroller.