From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} reverse DNS problem?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:52:03
1 >> When I try to send an email to a ucla.edu email address from my hosted
2 >> server, the message bounces and I'm directed to this page:
3 >>
4 >> http://info.smtp.ucla.edu/faq.php
5 >>
6 >> which says:
7 >>
8 >> "The gateway disallows direct connections from residential broadband
9 >> systems, from other dynamically allocated IP addresses, or from hosts
10 >> with "generic" reverse DNS entries (ie, a variation of A-B-C-D.isp.com
11 >> for D.C.B.A)."
12 >>
13 >> I do get this:
14 >>
15 >> $ ping -c 1 mydomain.com
16 >> PING mydomain.com (m.y.i.p) 56(84) bytes of data.
17 >> 64 bytes from p.i.y.m.static.reverse.myhost.com (m.y.i.p): icmp_seq=1
18 >> ttl=49 time=1267 ms
19 >>
20 >> Does anyone know how to fix this?
21 >
22 > Have the company from whom you get your static IP set up the reverse
23 > DNS to be your domain rather than the generic myhost.com address.
24
25 So if I have multiple websites on the same server, I will have to pick
26 a domain which will resolve for rDNS for all the domains?
27
28 - Grant