From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 03:57:03
1 > > My unattended daily system maintenance procedure is like this:
2 > >
3 > > layman -S
4 > > emerge --sync
5 > > emerge -pvDuN world
6 > > emerge -pv --depclean
7 > > eclean -p distfiles
8 > > eclean -p packages
9 > >
10 > > And then attended like this:
11 > >
12 > > emerge -DuN world
13 > > revdep-rebuild
14 > > etc-update
15 > > elogv
16 > > emerge --depclean
17 > > eclean distfiles
18 > > eclean packages
19 > >
20 > > Am I missing any good stuff?
21 > >
22 > > - Grant
25 > I would use the -a option unless the output of the first part is being
26 > emailed to you or something.
27
28 Exactly, it's being emailed to me and I should have said so.
29
30 > Other than using -a instead of -p, I don't see anything missing. Just
31 > check the USE flags before letting it update. They get changed
32 > sometimes and it could cause issues. Sometimes the change is for the
33 > good so always look into it first.
34 >
35 > You *may* want to look into dispatch-conf too. It does the same as
36 > etc-update but it keeps records in case a updated config file borks your
37 > system. Just a thought.
38
39 I will do that. dispatch-conf sounds like a good thing.
40
41 - Grant