From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: alsa and multiple sources of sound...
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 07:21:22
1 On 25/05/2019 10:06, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > I thought, alsa could handle multiple sources of sound
3 > simultanously...
4
5 Hm. It should. I use pulseaudio now, but when I was still using just
6 ALSA alone, it would by default use dmix to play multiple sources at the
7 same time.
8
9 Check if you have ALSA configuration files and delete them (or rather
10 move them to a backup location)
11
12 ~/.asoundrc
13 /etc/asoundrc
14
15 If any of those files exist, delete them. Reboot to be 100% sure ALSA
16 gets rid of whatever config it was using before. The default config of
17 ALSA should use dmix then. I think...
18
19 If that doesn't help, see how each application is configured. If the
20 audio settings of the application are set to use an ALSA hardware
21 device, then yeah, it might block all other applications from using the
22 sound device. Normally, you want to select the "default" ALSA device in
23 each application's settings.