From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh defaults to coming in as user "root"?
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 00:36:23
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 07:49:37PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > Keep in mind that the username is set by the CLIENT, not the server,
4 > so that is where the issue lies if it isn't using the username you
5 > want it to.
6
7 Doing some more googling. Lots of hits about people who want to log
8 in as root (opposite of me). Apparently, you need a .ssh/config file to
9 force that. I don't remember ever setting one one up. But I looked in
10 .ssh; lo and behold, there it was. "cat" showed that its contents were
11
12 Host thimk
13 KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
14 User root
15
16 I renamed the file, and behaviour returned to expected behaviour...
17
18 [i660][waltdnes][~] ssh thimk
19 [thimk][waltdnes][~]
20
21 The question is how did .ssh/config ever get there in the first place?
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications