From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh defaults to coming in as user "root"?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:49:56
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 7:37 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2020.07.10 19:08, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > > I've done the preliminary setup on my laptop install, and copied the
5 > > package names I wanted into the world file. With dependancies thrown
6 > > in, the laptop is now compiling 268 ebuilds of various sizes.
7 > >
8 > > One thing I noticed while setting up. I ssh in from my desktop PC
10 > > the Thinkpad laptop (named "thimk" <G>) to set things up. The default
11 > > seems to be to come in to the root account, unless I override. User
12 > > "waltdnes" on my desktop does not default to coming in as user
13 > > "waltdnes" on my laptop. I have to specify a non-root user. See
14 > > below.
15 > >
16 > > [i660][waltdnes][~] ssh thimk
17 > > [thimk][root][~]
18 > >
19 > > [i660][waltdnes][~] ssh waltdnes@thimk
20 > > [thimk][waltdnes][~]
21 > >
22 > > Is this a recent change?
23 > Have you tried ssh -v, or even multiple -v's?
24 >
25 > What versions? I've got openssh-8.3_p1-r2, and haven't seen any such
26 > issues.
27
28 Keep in mind that the username is set by the CLIENT, not the server,
29 so that is where the issue lies if it isn't using the username you
30 want it to.
33 Rich