From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh defaults to coming in as user "root"?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:37:15
1 On 2020.07.10 19:08, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I've done the preliminary setup on my laptop install, and copied the
3 > package names I wanted into the world file. With dependancies thrown
4 > in, the laptop is now compiling 268 ebuilds of various sizes.
5 >
6 > One thing I noticed while setting up. I ssh in from my desktop PC
8 > the Thinkpad laptop (named "thimk" <G>) to set things up. The default
9 > seems to be to come in to the root account, unless I override. User
10 > "waltdnes" on my desktop does not default to coming in as user
11 > "waltdnes" on my laptop. I have to specify a non-root user. See
12 > below.
13 >
14 > [i660][waltdnes][~] ssh thimk
15 > [thimk][root][~]
16 >
17 > [i660][waltdnes][~] ssh waltdnes@thimk
18 > [thimk][waltdnes][~]
19 >
20 > Is this a recent change?
21 Have you tried ssh -v, or even multiple -v's?
22
23 What versions? I've got openssh-8.3_p1-r2, and haven't seen any such
24 issues. I do have a problem where ssh from my laptop (artix linux) to
25 my desktop (Gentoo) almost immedaitely closes the connection, but if I
26 ssh from laptop to a different laptop or desktop, and then to the
27 Gentoo desktop, it works fine. If it annoys me enough, I'll eventually
28 post it here as a new issue.
29
30 I'd also check UID's not just names, just in case, although I can't
31 think why it would matter. Is there anything strange in ssh.config or
32 sshd.config on either side? You might compare sshd.config on the two
33 boxes.