From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card not working, tried tulip drivers... [resolved]
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:31:03
1 On 10/28/2009 04:01 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> To read your PCI connected devices you need:
5 >>
6 >> lspci -v
7 >>
8 >> HTH.
12 > That is the key command in my opinion. That will tell you what driver
13 > it is using for what device. If it works while booted on the Live CD,
14 > then that driver is most likely what you need. Take the name of the
15 > driver, then search for it in menuconfig. You hit the "/" key to
16 > search. Its like the ? key without hitting shift. It should show you
17 > exactly where the driver is located so you can go enable it. Then you
18 > just recompile the kernel and copy it to /boot.
19 >
20 > This is what the output should look like:
21 >
22 > 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
23 > MBit (rev 31)
24 > Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
25 > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
26 > I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]
27 > Memory at df002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
28 > [virtual] Expansion ROM at 88100000 [disabled] [size=256K]
29 > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 1
30 > Kernel driver in use: dmfe
33 > The last line is the key. If I were searching for that driver, I would
34 > search for dmfe and enable it as built in or a module.
35 >
36 > If that command doesn't show the driver, then you may need to start with
37 > some of the other commands to see what you can test to get it working.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-) :-)
42 >
43 I booted up the livecd and ran lspci -v, it worked great. I got similar
44 output to that above, and found out that I am using a "3Com Corporation
45 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)" and that "Kernel driver in use:
46 3c59x". Great! Only problem was that when I went to look for that driver
47 in menuconfig, all I found were two other drivers for similar cards (one
48 of which had "[Typhoon]" in the name).
49
50 However, I enabled those drivers, recompiled, rebooted, and everything
51 works great. Thanks for all your help.
52
53 By the way, I have never had such great technical support before. I am
54 really amazed that within 12 hours, I had about 3 different ways of
55 fixing this, and was able to have it up and running within 45 minutes of
56 checking my email this morning. Wonderful!
57
58 Marcus