From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card not working, tried tulip drivers... [resolved]
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:39:07
1 Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > On 10/28/2009 04:01 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> To read your PCI connected devices you need:
6 >>>
7 >>> lspci -v
8 >>>
9 >>> HTH.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> That is the key command in my opinion. That will tell you what driver
13 >> it is using for what device. If it works while booted on the Live CD,
14 >> then that driver is most likely what you need. Take the name of the
15 >> driver, then search for it in menuconfig. You hit the "/" key to
16 >> search. Its like the ? key without hitting shift. It should show you
17 >> exactly where the driver is located so you can go enable it. Then you
18 >> just recompile the kernel and copy it to /boot.
19 >>
20 >> This is what the output should look like:
21 >>
22 >> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
23 >> MBit (rev 31)
24 >> Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
25 >> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
26 >> I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]
27 >> Memory at df002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
28 >> [virtual] Expansion ROM at 88100000 [disabled] [size=256K]
29 >> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 1
30 >> Kernel driver in use: dmfe
33 >> The last line is the key. If I were searching for that driver, I would
34 >> search for dmfe and enable it as built in or a module.
35 >>
36 >> If that command doesn't show the driver, then you may need to start with
37 >> some of the other commands to see what you can test to get it working.
38 >>
39 >> Dale
40 >>
41 >> :-) :-)
42 > I booted up the livecd and ran lspci -v, it worked great. I got
43 > similar output to that above, and found out that I am using a "3Com
44 > Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)" and that "Kernel driver
45 > in use: 3c59x". Great! Only problem was that when I went to look for
46 > that driver in menuconfig, all I found were two other drivers for
47 > similar cards (one of which had "[Typhoon]" in the name).
48 >
49 > However, I enabled those drivers, recompiled, rebooted, and everything
50 > works great. Thanks for all your help.
51 >
52 > By the way, I have never had such great technical support before. I am
53 > really amazed that within 12 hours, I had about 3 different ways of
54 > fixing this, and was able to have it up and running within 45 minutes
55 > of checking my email this morning. Wonderful!
56 >
57 > Marcus
61 Now I'm confused. I did a search here as well and it returned nothing
62 matching that driver. This is a first for me. Has anyone else ever
63 searched for a driver when you have the exact name and not get a match
64 when the driver is actually there? I did a manual search and the driver
65 is there.
66
67 Glad you got the network working tho.
68
69 Dale
70