From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Verification of audio CD copy?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:25:24
1 On Fri, June 5, 2009 12:21, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
5 >> On Wed, June 3, 2009 22:23, Joerg Schilling wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> BTW: this is where you see that cdparranoia(1) is now 12 year old and
12 >>> unmaintained since ~ 10 years. cdda2wav -paranoia gives much better
13 >>> results that cdparanoia.
14 >>
15 >> Pardon me for getting in the middle but I am really curious about
16 >> this. I know that paranoia is old but according to their web page the
17 >> last update was "September 11, 2008". However maybe it was just a
18 >> maintenance update to fix compilation errors or something like that.
19 >
20 > Correct, there was a mainenance update but cdparanoia is still based on
21 > a cdda2wav source from 1997.
22 >
23 >> I have researched about cdda2wav vs. cdparanoia vs. cdrdao in the past
24 >> and came to the conclussion that cdparanioa is probably the worst
25 >> nowadays, however I am not sure it's dead.
26 >
27 > cdrdao did not et new features since 4 years and it did not get even a
28 > maintenance update since 3 years.
29 >
30 > cdparanoia is a "patch" on a cdd2wav source from 1997 and there was a lot
31 > of activities 'till March 2001 with cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8 since then no
32 > new features have been introduced and as the project did look completely
33 > dead, I decided to take the relevent code, make a real portable library
34 > from it and use it from cdda2wav. This port was done in spring 2002.
37 > A year ago, there have been some minor code changes and lot's
38 > of new comment in the main paranoia code. The new comment has been moved to
39 > libparanoia for cddawav....
42 Thanks a lot for clearing that for me. :)
46 Jesús Guerrero